March 6, 2019

I love this pattern and asked for it as a Christmas gift over a year ago. It took me a long time to decide on the yarn I wanted to use, so that kept me from starting on it until just before Christmas this past year (2018). This is a complex pattern with a ton of stacked increases and decreases, which takes tremendous concentration (at least for me) to make sure you do the exact number. I realized when I first tried it that it was something I needed to do in isolation, as least until I get the flow of the pattern down.

I’ve had two false starts so far, because the needles I was using didn’t seem to work well. I bought some metal needles, hoping that they will be more slippery than my plastic ones. The pattern says that you need slippery needles to do this project and I can see why. I tried to do it with my Denise Interchangeable Needles, but they are not not slippery. They actually hold onto the yarn a bit, which I usually like. These have been my only set of needles (besides dpns) since I started knitting, because they work so well. However, in this case they were more of a hinderance than a help. 

This evening I got the cast on and the first row completed. This was enough to let me know that the metal needles are probably going to help a lot. I also started watching the instructional videos the pattern creator, Xandy Peters, put up to help with the stacked increases and decreases that make this pattern so wonderful. She also has one on how to work in the tails of the color changes as you go. That’s going to save a lot of time in the long run.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.