Well, I certainly thought today’s post was going to be rather boring. Errands and a little TV, then embroidering my Halloween top. It was anything but…
The errands went well. No problems there. I did pick up a couple spools of Isacord thread to try out. Other than that it was errands as usual.
I got home, rested a bit and watched a little TV. Then around 9 PM, I went in to start on my t-shirt for Sunday. That’s Halloween at work for me because I won’t work again until after the 31st. I was taking my time, doing each step slowly so that I would be sure not to make any mistakes. I turned on the bobbin indicator that is supposed to tell you when your bobbin is low on thread. It is notorious for being a problem but last time I stitched this pattern I ran out in the middle of one of the ghosts. I decided I’d turn it on and deal with it as need be.
When I used the indicator before it would tell me after just a few stitches that the bobbin was low, I would push OK, and then it would continue embroidering without a problem. However, this time every seventh pass it would bring up the notice. I was just going along pressing the button every 30 seconds when all of a sudden I got a notice – “You’re out of memory.” I was like, “What the heck?” I had stitched this pattern before with no problem. I clicked the OK and then I got a blank infobox. All it had in it was an OK button and an X button. No words. My thought, “Oh dear, this is not good.” I tried clicking everywhere: the OK button, the X button, every other button on the screen. I tried to click to get out of the embroidery module. Nothing. Nada. It was frozen. I turned the machine off because I had read on the Bernina Lovers Facebook page that the pattern would be remembered if you had a power outage or had to turn the machine off. I turned it on. The screen came up. It did NOT remember that I had been embroidering a pattern. ARGH!
I was near panic, thinking my project was toast when my loving, level-headed husband came in and said, “Post your problem on the Facebook page.” This was at midnight. I’m thinking, “No one is going to be up.” I posted it anyway. Within one minute I had my first answer. Not one I wanted but an answer. It said my machine wouldn’t remember. Heart hitting bottom.
Then several more. A little more encouraging but without enough information for me to figure out what I needed to do. Finally, after three or four responses I got one that gave me enough info to find the instructions in the owner’s manual. I had to manually forward the design to the point I had been at when I got the fail message. The instructions said to write down the stitch count and then forward to 2 to 3 stitches before that number. I didn’t have the stitches count because the blank info block hid the screen I needed. That meant I had to try to match it by eye. That was painful. I didn’t get it quite perfect but I got it very, very close. Close enough that I can wear it without it looking defective.
Oh, before I started anything again I turned off the bobbin indicator, threaded a new bobbin completely full of the color I needed and inserted it. That way I would be sure to have enough thread to complete the project.
It was going along merrily when just about 2 inches further on in the design I get another warning message. “Application error, turn machine off and on.” This time I was smart and wrote down the stitch count before I turned it off. Turned it off, left if for a minute, turned it on and it came up not remembering I’d done any embroidery.
This time I had the stitch count so I advanced to within three stitches of where I had stopped before, hit the GO button, and away it went, completing the design as intended. However, it was now 1 AM! I only took the time to let the community know I got it finished and off to bed. It took me about thirty minutes to unwind enough to go to sleep.
How’s that for a day I thought was going to be boringly uneventful!